Guardianship & Conservatorship


The Basics

The court appoints a guardian to make health-related and lifestyle choices for someone known by law as an “incapacitated person” (also known as the “ward”). Depending on the ward’s financial condition, the court may also appoint a conservator to make financial decisions of someone known by law as a “protected person” (also a “ward”). Another factor to consider is the mental health of the incapacitated or protected person, because if the ward is violent or does not follow instructions and is a potential flight risk, you as the Guardian may need the authority to place the ward in a psychiatric hospital and the court will need to add that duty to the appointed guardian’s responsibilities.

Secure the Future of Vulnerable Loved Ones

Every family must inevitably confront certain issues about the future of their vulnerable loved ones. Adult children may be facing their aging parents’ inability to make medical or wellness decisions, take care of financial issues or fully run their household. Thus, it’s critical for you to secure the future of your vulnerable loved ones. When your circumstances involve guardianship or conservatorship, or a combination of both, Doug Newborn Law Firm, PLLC is here to help.

Establishing Adult Guardianship
& Conservatorship

At Doug Newborn Law Firm, PLLC, we understand that you want to ensure your family members are cared for when they need to be. Each person has their own personal and individual needs and it can be challenging during this stressful time to figure out all the necessary information to get yourself appointed as guardian and/or conservator to administer your loved one’s affairs.

Adult guardianship Attorney Doug Newborn will meticulously evaluate and analyze your circumstances and walk you through the whole legal proceeding. He is also an experienced adult conservatorship lawyer who aims to make sure that you understand the adult guardianship and conservatorship process and whether it’s suitable for your circumstances.

Child Guardianship & Conservatorship

Situations often arise when a parent is no longer able to live up to his or her obligations to his or her child, or the child is permanently disabled and is about to turn 18 and still needs at-home care from their parents or a loved one, or the minor child inherits money earlier than expected or receives a settlement before turning 18. In these circumstances, the other family members (typically the parents) have to intervene to make sure that the child and/or their newly acquired money is adequately cared for. If you are involved in any guardianship or visitation issues, our child guardianship attorney can represent your best interests.

Doug Newborn and his team can help you through this time. To schedule a consultation with an experienced child guardianship attorney or if you have any questions about petitions for guardianship, contact Doug Newborn Law Firm, PLLC or submit your name and email below and a member of our legal team will get in touch with you.

Protecting the Child is Our Goal

For Guardianship and Conservatorship cases in Arizona, a child less than 18 years old is considered a minor. Whether it’s a temporary or long-term placement for the minor, our guardianship attorney for a minor will help you through the child guardianship process so you can focus on what matters most, taking care of the minor child. Also, when it comes to conservatorship cases, our conservatorship attorney for a minor will guide you through the process.

Whatever the source of the funds a child is to receive, the court and the conservatorship lawyer for a child must ensure that the child’s assets are cautiously managed and their interests protected.

When you are considering becoming a guardian and/or conservator for a child/minor, turn to our law firm to guide you in the process.

Emergency Guardianship & Conservatorship

Some scenarios require an immediate appointment of a guardian or conservator. In these circumstances, the court appoints a temporary guardian to manage the ward’s matters and then later appoints the same person to be the permanent guardian. The time between the temporary and permanent appointment hearings is usually 4-6 weeks. At Doug Newborn Law Firm, PLLC, our emergency conservatorship lawyer can generally get you in to see a judge for the emergency/temporary hearing within 1-2 weeks.

Guardianship and conservatorship is already a complex proceeding. When it comes to an emergency situation, you’ll need a skilled legal professional to represent you. Emergency guardianship Attorney Doug Newborn is capable of expediting the process to ensure the protection and safety of the incapacitated person.

Contested Guardianship & Conservatorship

If you need to challenge a guardianship and/or conservatorship situation, or if your own petition is contested, you need to make an appointment with a lawyer, whether it’s with us or someone else. Our contested guardianship lawyer is knowledgeable in resolving disputes while also attempting to manage family relationships to the best possible extent.

When you hire us for your contested guardianship or contested conservatorship, we walk with you through the whole process to protect your interests and rights.

Since the appointment of a conservator or guardian removes the ward’s individual rights – such as suspending their driver’s license or prohibiting them from voting – the court needs a medical report stating that the ward is incapacitated.

Keep in mind that any interested party (typically the immediate family members) can dispute the nomination of a conservator and/or guardian.

If you need assistance in navigating this area of the law, please contact our law firm or submit your name and email below to schedule a consultation.

Compassion Matters

We understand guardianship and conservator proceedings can be complicated and emotionally draining – especially when it involves family members. You can find compassionate and caring counsel through contested conservatorship Attorney Doug Newborn and his team.

Skip to content